martes, 7 de octubre de 2008

"The power of colours"



After seeing the picture, I can have two different opinions about it, depending on the colour the picture is shown. First, I saw the picture in black&white and I perceived something completely different from what I saw in the second time, when I saw it in colours. In black&white, the image shows me desertion, abandonment, autumn, coldness, regardless of the fact that the two girls do not seem to be sad or cold. That place is full of leaves, or garbage (I cannot really see what there is there), but anyway, dry leaves is a synonym of death, decline, etc. Nevertheless, some time ago those leaves were blossoming, and it was probably spring, so I can directly relate this description to “The waste land” and its part “What the thunder said”.
This part of this masterpiece has directly to do with death and decline. The text talks about the decay of eastern Europe, amongst other themes. “What the thunder said” says “...He who was living is now dead, We who were living are now dying...” Nonetheless, if I see the picture in colours, I can see two girls looking for something in an abandoned place, full of newspapers, probably old books, etc.
Having different colours can change the whole view we have about something. Colours are so powerful that they can give life, death, or any feeling to anything! I agree with those people that say “Give colour to your life” (I’m not sure if I can say this in English, it’s probably translated, but I want to express what I’m thinking of right now) And having attached images to a piece of literary work, text of any type, etc..can help readers perceive different things, read different messages, etc. This is why the objective correlative is so important. It makes readers feel more, understand more, make more relations between different topics, texts, etc.

1 comentario:

Claudia Trajtemberg dijo...

Hi Sergio,
I like the picture you´ve chosen for your post.

I´m happy that the picture we used in class helped you find your own ways of understanding the poem. You´re right in that images can trigger different feelings, perceptions, etc. The power of images and words is infinite. Don´t you think?
Well done!
Claudia