viernes, 22 de agosto de 2008

"Connecting with inborn emotions"


Kubla Khan made me travel amongst different emotions that do not arise every day. While reading this piece of literature I thought about the internal trip that a lot of people go through when they feel certain emotions. For example: melancholy, sadness, happiness, tiredness, sweetness, stress, and so on. The poem also makes you feel reflected on the picture through the words that are used, the subtlety of the expression of the ideas and the description of the scene.


Even though poetry seems to be accessible to everybody, it is really hard to understand a poem like this one, when it is not your language. For instance, for Spanish speakers reading Neruda’s poetry is not as challenging as reading Coleridge’s. Nevertheless, when I understood the poem in some way it was not that difficult. I really liked the way the author set the atmosphere. When I was reading it, I truly felt into it. Indeed, it reminded me of “Siddhartha” by Hermann Hesse because of its mysticism and its great depiction of natural features such as trees, rivers, hills and forests.

3 comentarios:

Claudia Trajtemberg dijo...

Hi Sergio,
Trips are a key element in literature. We might travel "amongst different emotions" as you say, different times, settings, etc. What is essential is to be "touched" by the poem or piece of writing. Coleridge made you travel by using words and expressions that helped you imagine the different emotions that so well depicted his own feelings. Do you now believe that his poetry was "simple" as he stated in one of the citations that we discussed in class?
See you,
Claudia

Sergio dijo...
Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.
Bárbara Medina dijo...

Dear Sergio,
I think that you are right when you say that it is so difficult to interpret a foreign poem. However, when we are able to understand this poem, this can provoke a lot of emtions inside us.
See you
Bárbara